Wednesday, June 03, 2009

The Decision is made!

Well, in the Baker household summer is officially here! We've had many things happen since my last post...one important one was my PWOC Spring Retreat. It's always been a time to get back in line with the Lord, but this year was especially meaningful. For a few months I've been looking for answers on what to do with Michael for school next year. I've spent tons of time in prayer asking God what his will is, and after what felt like weeks and weeks of waiting, I think I got my answer!

One morning at our Retreat, our speaker was talking about how she had a niece and nephew who were twins, but THEY ARE BOTH INDIVIDUALS! This hit me like a brick. You see since birth I've know the boys were individuals, but I've really struggled with the fact that they are SO different. I want them to do the same things at the same time, like many twin parents, but that really isn't how twins are made. God made us all unique, in his own image! According to Psalm 139, God knows us inside and out and made us all exactly how we are supposed to be. So why would twins be any different? They aren't! Each one has their own set of gifts given by the Lord to share and use for His Glory.

From the time of the twins birth, I've firmly believed they each had a purpose given directly to them from God. You see this is a special story I've never shared with most people. During the birth of the twins, I had a placental abruption of twin A, aka Michael. This abruption happened at some time prior to my water breaking at 4pm. I got to the hospital at 5:00pm, and was rushed in for an emergency c-section. The twins were born, at 5:40 pm and 5:41 pm. Michael wasn't breathing and required resuscitation, by the time my Mom saw them in the NICU, shortly after birth, Michael was still very blue, but everyone played it off as normal for a preemie.

Once I finally saw my OB again, we all realized how lucky me and the babies were. The nurse had come in and told me I was very lucky, but all I wanted to know was how my babies were. She had told me the doctor would be in. Well, about an hour or so later, someone finally spoke to me. I didn't realized that I could have lost my own life at that time, let alone the babies.

After reading the post op report from my surgery, we found out that Michael shouldn't have lived! The report actually states that he is a non survivable infant! As most of you reading this know, the boys spent 25 days in the NICU, which from what I hear is really good for 31 weekers. We also heard many times from my OB, who would just come over and visit the boys, that it's a miracle that Michael was here.

The boys just being around is a miracle to Robert and I who tried to get pregnant for two years, as my sister Christina always told me, God gave me one for every year we tired. We are thankful every day that God gave us the honor to raise to wonderful little boys, who are very quickly growing every day. It's hard to believe they started at 3 lbs 13 oz and 3 lbs 11 oz and are now 45+ lbs and 40+ lbs.

So, since they are both individuals, Robert and I made the decision, Michael will be going to try 2nd grade. If he doesn't do well, then we haven't lost anything, he will just go back to 1st grade and continue school.

Also, we got word at the very end of the school year, that Michael made it into the ACE program. So, he will be pulled out of class, once a week we believe, for gifted education!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just stopping in to say hi today. I've been googling PWOC blogs and came across your lovely site today. I hope you've been able to enjoy our refreshed site and daily blog. God bless!!

Melinda Hemphill
PWOCI Communications
pwoc.org