Monday, March 26, 2007

The worst year!

Okay, it hasn't all been this year, but since October, this has been the worst year. My Grandmother passed away in October, my Grandfather was diagnosed with lung cancer and underwent surgery (we almost lost him during the surgery), in December my family was fighting with each other and that lasted until January and is still being dealt with to this day, in February we lost my cousin in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan, and to bring us up to date, my Father had a heart attack and underwent cardiac bypass surgery this last week. I'm hoping this is the end of our "emergencies" because I don't know how many more I can take. I think I've spent more time of the road than at home recently.

My little sister was here for her spring break and all was going well. We took the boys to school on Thursday March 15th like nothing was going on. We decided to go out to Burger King and get some breakfast to kill some time before going to buy our zoo passes. As we are leaving Burger King my sister's cell phone rings. It's my Mom, she really upset and tells me sister that my Dad has been admitted to the hospital and they think he's had a heart attack. Well, after the year we've had so far we are ready to pack up , get the kids from school, and hit the road back to Kansas City. My mom tells us not to pull the kids form school yet since we don't know what is going on, but just keep the cell phone ready so as we get information she can call us.

Well, but noon, we are really beginning to wonder since we haven't heard form Mom. About the time we were ready to call her, she finally calls. Dad will have bypass surgery, but we aren't sure when. So we decide to wait and see if she know more later that night. We spend the rest of the day worried and debating what we should do. Around 6pm, we hear from Mom again. The surgeon is full for Friday and since he is stable and they are planning on waiting for Monday for the surgery. After talking with Mom we decided that we will stay here and go on with our weekend plans for two reasons, one I don't think the stress of having the kids in the hospital room all that time will be good on them or Dad and two, Dad says he doesn't want us to mess with our plans when we've already told the kids. So we decided to leave Sunday morning.

Our weekend plans went well. We went to the zoo and the Omniplex, and had a great time, but I have to admit, I felt really bad. Thinking about my Dad laying in a hospital bed while we were out enjoying stuff just put a small damper on the days. He was glad we went, but I still felt like I shouldn't be enjoying myself.

Anyway, fast forward to Sunday...we leave and make it to Kansas City, with only one casualty. Patrick's red Clifford Doggie, went MIA. I think we know where he got lost, but needless to say he didn't make it to my parent's house with us. We arrived in plenty of time to see my Dad and go to dinner with everyone.

We get up around 5:00am Monday morning to make it to the hospital to see Dad before surgery. We were told a nurse would be in contact with us during the surgery to let us know how things progress. We were told he is having 3 bypasses and surgery should be over around 1:00pm. Well, about 1-1 1/2 hours into the surgery the nurse comes out and talks to us. She says, Did you say he was having 3 bypasses done? We told her yes, she proceeded to tell us that has changed...it's going to be 5 possibly 6! We were shocked! Needless to say that added time to the surgery. He finally go out of surgery at around 2pm. We were able to see him around 3pm for a few minutes and then not again until visiting hours in the ICU.

All in all he came through surgery fine. He is now at home as of March 24th and seems to be doing well. Hopefully this will continue. This has been a wake up call for my family, and we know some things are going to change.

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers during this time.

No comments: